Pages

Thursday, January 27

The Right Path

I am so blessed. The people in my life are truly sensational. Whether I get the part or not, this audition process has been such a positive experience!! I've been encouraged and supported more than ever before, I've met so many amazing people, and I've had several enjoyable evenings of singing and dancing. Best of all, Rush and I have miraculously grown even closer. No one has ever been there for me quite like my loving husband. Only an incredible man could spend a collective 20 hours or so sitting and waiting at various auditions.

The last one was a total blast, mostly due to how fantastic the other Tracy finalists are, inside and out. We went over dances together, chatted, shared snacks, and genuinely got to know and appreciate one another - all in the span of 5 hours as we competed for a role. I personally felt like the character herself at some points. We were five big girls in a sea of tiny, flexible beauties. When it came time for our dance audition, the Tracys got the biggest (ha!) applause of all. That was one of the most satisfying moments of my life.

Everyone there was so respectful of each other and I can't wait to get more involved with this community. Red Mountain and I did not get off on the right foot. Last year, I somehow thought it would be a good idea to intern with them as I tried to finish my last semester of college and plan a marriage. It was not. I was unable to complete my duties and ultimately dropped the show altogether. The company graciously gave me another chance with The Drowsy Chaperone and I've been hooked ever since. What an awesome group of people!!

I have a really pathetic confession to make. As evident by our almost-identical interviews, short, chubby girls everywhere have dreamt about playing Tracy since they first discovered the show. I'm one of those. For the past 5 years, however, my fantasy has been specifically geared towards RMTC. Ever since I saw their production of my all-time favorite show Bat Boy: The Musical, I've often thought to myself how crazy it would be if they ever decided to do Hairspray. And had open auditions for Tracy. And I got it. And I had all my friends and family come see it. And, of course, I was the best Tracy EVER ;)

So, you see, half of my vision has already become a reality. Yes, I will probably cry and wallow and generally feel dreadful if I am not cast, but I would still not trade this opportunity for anything! Never before have I felt so strongly that I am in the right place at the right time. God is directing my feet and I am following. All I can do now is pray that I keep finding the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment