Pages

Tuesday, August 28

The Big Goodbye

Yesterday we had a home visit with our social worker about this long term placement, planning to expect these two children to be with us at least through the end of the year. Today one of them left us.

I got back to my phone at 3:00 after teaching all day to see dozens of missed calls, voicemails, and texts. DHR went to court today to talk to the judge about my boys. One of them had a relative come forward to take custody. 2 hours after receiving this news, he was gone. His (half) brother is giggling on the floor right now playing some ridiculous game with Rush. What will bedtime be like?

I’m sad. I miss him. I’m worried. How will he do transitioning to a new school? Mostly I’m thrilled. He was BEAMING when I told him where he was going. He couldn’t pack fast enough. He gave me lots of hugs and told me he loves me. He wanted to talk to my family members who have invested so much into him. We FaceTimed Isaac who said he was happy for him. He took his brand new Bible and the wolf stuffed animal I had given him. He bounded into the car with the woman from DHR and waved at us through the window with the biggest smile I’ve ever seen on that kid’s face.


Worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment